It has been a while since the N95 has seen a firmware upgrade and I’m anxious to see what will be in store. But here are some issues which IMO Nokia must address and some which will be a bonus if done.
– The keypress bug needs to go, enough is enough. Even now I’m writing on the device and even Quickoffice is a pain to use because of this.
– The multi media menu must be made faster or upgraded to the one present in the N95 8GB.
– In the stand by screen when the second slide is opened i.e. the media buttons the multimedia menu shouldn’t launch automatically or at least give us the option to disable it. Why I am so against the menu is that it is RAM hogging to the core and quite simply the N95 classic cannot afford such applications.
– A single long press of the multimedia key much bring up the media player like it was in the original firmware. The current way requiring a double press is too slow, painful and unreliable. I can’t get it to work on all occassions.
– The volume of the loudspeaker in the Radio much be increased. Currently its almost inaudible at full volume. When most low end phones too work well in this department, why does the flagship suffer?
– Keeping in mind the RAM situation can we have demand paging a.k.a. the N95 8GB please?
– The camera needs to be made faster. Its one major reason for the N95’s phenomenol success so at least make that worthwhile for everyone. Even if it means reserving certain resources for it, but please get this sorted out.
Update: The ability to download files from the web browser even if they are not supported by the phone. e.g. We cannot download .rar files while with 3rd party applications we can open them on the phone itself. Secondly let us delete those ‘Download Apps’, ‘Download Sounds’ etc folders from the bookmarks. For some strange reason the 5 of those folders just cannot be delete and I see absolutely no utility having them!
These I think are the core issues that still need to be looked into after over 6 months of the device’s release. Anything more will be welcome. Here’s a list of non essentials which would certainly be very welcome.
– The search integrated into the standby screen like in the newer Nseries phones.
– The new multimedia menu.
– The rotate feature that’s built into the N82 firmware. After all the N95 was the first Nseries phone to have the accelrometer, therefore it deserves it!
– An upgrad to the Flash on the phone and general browser performance. Mine crashes a lot while dealing with RSS feeds.
– RAM optimizations and general tweaks as always.
– Flash being available while shooting a video.
– The Ngage application with a demo thrown in!
Since it has been a long time coming I am hoping it will be a major upgrade and make us love our devices and Nokia as a company ever more. I’ll be glad if all or at least a substantial part of the points in the above post are met. Is there something I missed out?
Trackback URL is here.